Using the Android SIP Client with Clearwater
These instructions detail how to enable the stock Android SIP client. The instructions vary depending on your handset and Android model, If you get them working on devcies not on the known working list, please add to the list. Equally, if they do not work, please add your device to the unsupported list.
- Ensure that you have a data connection (either through 4G or WiFi).
- Launch your standard dialer (often called Phone or Dialer).
- Bring up the menu. Depending on your phone, this may be via a physical Menu button, or via an icon (consisting of three dots in a vertical line in either the top right or bottom right).
- From the menu, navigate to the internet calling accounts menu.
- On many devices this is located in Settings (or Call Settings) > Internet Call Settings > Accounts.
- On the Nexus 6 running 5.1.1 this is located in Settings > Calls > Calling accounts > Internet Call Settings > Internet calling (SIP) accounts.
- Press Add account and enter its configuration.
- Set Username, Password and Server to their usual values.
- Open the Optional settings panel to see and set the following options.
- Set Transport type to UDP
- Set Authentication username to the same as Username
- Some SIP clients do not have or may not need an Authentication username field as they reuse the Username field
- Once done, choose Save.
- Enable making internet calls.
- On many devices this is located in the Call menu (which can be accessed from the dialler by selecting Settings as above). Once here under Internet Call Settings select Use Internet Calling and set this to Ask for each call.
- On a Nexus 6 running 5.1.1 this is located in the Calling accounts menu. From here select Use internet calling and set this to Only for Internet Calls.
- Enable receiving internet calls (note this significantly reduces your battery life).
- On many devices this is located in Settings > Internet Call Settings > Accounts once here select Receive Incoming Calls.
- On the Nexus 6 running 5.1.1 this is located in Settings > Calls > Calling accounts once here select Receive Incoming Calls.
Making a call
- Make a call from the standard dialler to another extension line, e.g. 201 and hit the Call button.
- Depending on your settings, you will be prompted which SIM card to use (SIP looks like an additional virtual SIM card to Android). Select your Username (2xx) and your call should connect.
Known supported devices
- Samsung Galaxy S7/8/9 running Android Oreo and Pie
- Pixel 2/3
Known unworkable devices